An investigation into the kidnapping and death of a Navy official in the Palghar district of Maharashtra revealed that the 27-year-old had taken out a loan from His colleague’s 5 lakh would have invested in stocks, police said on Sunday.

Navy official Surajkumar Mithilesh Dube succumbed to his injuries on Friday after being set on fire by three unidentified men in a forest in the district.

Investigation into the case revealed that Dube took out a personal loan from 8 lakh from the State Bank of India and 5.75 lakh from his colleague. He also owned three cell phones, one of which was used exclusively for trading in shares. Her family members said they were unaware of her third cell phone. Palghar SP Dattatray Shinde said the sailor also took out a loan from 9 lakh from his in-laws for the investment. The colleague allegedly demanded his money, after which Dube assured to return the amount by check or through an online transaction, police said.

“We still don’t know the motive for the murder. We have formed 10 teams to investigate the matter, ”he said.

The sailor was on leave and reportedly traveled to Chennai on January 31, from where he was kidnapped and held captive for three days. He was then taken to Gholwad in Palghar, after which the accused set him on fire in the forest of Vaiji-Vejalpada after they were allegedly refused a ransom of 10 lakh.

Sarjerao Kumbhar, Deputy Police Inspector, said: “The victim was burned alive at gunpoint for refusing their request to 10 lakh. The locals alerted us and we admitted him to Cottage Hospital, Dahanu. He was then transferred to Sion hospital where he succumbed to his injuries. Before his death, he had recounted the incident. The father of the deceased, however, claimed that he had received no ransom call. “We are investigating all possible angles, including whether the victim self-organized the kidnapping and demanded the ransom in order to clear the financial mess,” Shinde said.

In its statement, the Navy confirmed that Dubey, of INS Agrani, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, was on leave and was found with 90% burns in Palghar on February 5.


About The Author

Related Posts